YLAH DIY Chia Pet T(w)een Kit
Cha-cha-cha-chia! Learn how to create your own green “haired” creature with Kayla and Erin.
In your kit:
- Chia seeds
- Potting soil
- Nylon stocking
- Terracotta pot
- Rubber bands and googly eyes
You will Need:
- Small dish (to soak seeds in)
- Water (spray bottle optional)
- Markers/paint pens optional
1. Soak some chia seeds in water overnight
2. Place seeds inside the toe of a knee-high nylon (Pro-tip: wrap the nylon around the terracotta pot)
3. Add potting soil until it forms a ball and tie the top of the nylon into a knot
4. Place the soil ball, knot-side-down, into a terracotta pot
5. Decorate with rubber bands, googly eyes, and markers/paint pens.
6. Place your chia pet on a sunny windowsill and spray frequently with water using a spray bottle. Wait for the seeds to grow and trim as needed.
7. Share your results with us on Instagram (@nlcl_teens) and Snapchat (nlclteens)
Click the book cover to link to more about each book and library availability.
***We would love to see your completed projects. Share photos with us by using #nlibertylibrary on Instagram or email to email@example.com.
Fun Facts about Chia Pets from Mental Floss
1. THE “CHIA POLL” REPORTEDLY PREDICTS PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OUTCOMES.
2. THE NEW YORK TIMES INCLUDED A CHIA PET IN A 1990 TIME CAPSULE.
3. CHIA SEEDS ARE EDIBLE (THOUGH YOU SHOULDN’T EAT THE ONES FOUND IN CHIA PET KITS).
4. CHECK OUT THE ORIGINAL CHIA PET COMMERCIAL BELOW — CAREFUL THE JINGLE IS CATCHY!